Mouthwatering Southern-style Cupcakes with Fried Chicken, Cornbread, and Mashed Potatoes
Are you looking for a unique twist on classic Southern comfort food? Look no further than these Fried Chicken, Cornbread, and Mashed Potato & Gravy Cupcakes. This delicious recipe combines the best of three iconic dishes into one savory and satisfying bite. Here’s how to make them:
To make 12 cupcakes, you will need:
For the fried chicken:
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup hot sauce
- Vegetable oil, for frying
For the cornbread:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tbsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg
For the mashed potato & gravy:
- 2 large potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup butter
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup gravy, homemade or store-bought
Step 1: Prepare the fried chicken
- Cut the chicken breasts into small, bite-sized pieces.
- In a shallow dish, mix together the flour, salt, garlic powder, paprika, cayenne pepper, and black pepper.
- In another shallow dish, whisk together the buttermilk, egg, and hot sauce.
- Dip the chicken pieces first into the flour mixture, shaking off any excess, then into the buttermilk mixture, and then back into the flour mixture.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Fry the chicken pieces in the hot oil, turning occasionally, until golden brown and cooked through, about 8-10 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the skillet and let it drain on paper towels.
Step 2: Make the cornbread
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- In another mixing bowl, whisk together the milk, vegetable oil, and egg.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Pour the batter into a greased 9×9 inch baking dish and bake for 18-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let the cornbread cool slightly before cutting it into 12 equal pieces.
Step 3: Prepare the mashed potato & gravy
- Boil the chopped potatoes in a large pot of salted water until tender, about 15-20 minutes.
- Drain the potatoes and mash them with the milk and butter until smooth.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Heat the gravy in a small saucepan over medium heat.
Step 4: Assemble the cupcakes
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Line a 12-cup muffin tin with paper liners.
- Place a piece of cornbread in the bottom of each liner.
- Top the cornbread with a spoonful of mashed potato, followed by a spoonful of gravy.
- Finally, add a few pieces of fried chicken on top of the gravy.
- Repeat the layering process until all of the ingredients are used up.
- Bake the cupcakes for 15-20 minutes, or until heated through.
- Serve hot and enjoy the unique and delicious flavor combination!
Tips for Success
- Be sure to cut the chicken into small pieces so that they fit well on top of the cupcakes.
- Make sure the oil is hot enough before adding the chicken to prevent it from becoming too greasy.
- Use homemade gravy for the best flavor, but store-bought gravy will work in a pinch.
- Serve the cupcakes immediately to ensure that they are warm and crispy.
- Can I use a different type of meat instead of chicken?
Yes, you can substitute boneless pork chops or tofu for the chicken in this recipe.
- Can I make these cupcakes ahead of time?
Yes, you can assemble the cupcakes ahead of time and store them in the refrigerator until ready to bake.
- Can I freeze these cupcakes?
Yes, you can freeze the cupcakes for up to 1 month. Simply thaw them in the refrigerator before reheating.
- What can I serve with these cupcakes?
These cupcakes are a meal in themselves, but they can be served with a side of green beans or a fresh salad.
- Are these cupcakes spicy?
The cupcakes have a bit of heat from the cayenne pepper in the chicken coating, but it can be adjusted to your liking.