How to Make Delicious Slow-Cooked Chicken with Onions and Peppers
If you’re looking for a flavorful and easy-to-make chicken recipe, try this slow-cooked chicken with onions and peppers. This recipe requires a few simple ingredients and a roaster pan. The result is a delicious and tender chicken that’s packed with flavor. Here’s how to make it:
- 4-6 chicken thighs or drumsticks
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 red pepper, sliced
- 1 green pepper, sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat your oven to 300 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the sliced onions and peppers and sauté for a few minutes until they start to soften.
- Season the chicken with garlic powder, paprika, dried thyme, salt, and pepper.
- Add the chicken to the skillet and sear it for 2-3 minutes on each side until it’s golden brown.
- Transfer the chicken and vegetables to a roaster pan.
- Cover the pan with aluminum foil and place it in the oven.
- Let the chicken cook for 1 1/2 hours until it’s tender and fully cooked.
- Remove the foil and let the chicken cook for another 10-15 minutes until it’s browned and crispy.
Tips and Variations
- Use chicken thighs or drumsticks for this recipe as they are more flavorful and juicy than chicken breasts.
- You can also use different vegetables such as carrots, celery, or zucchini, depending on your preference.
- Add more seasoning to the chicken if you like spicy flavors.
- If you have time, marinate the chicken overnight for more flavor.
- Serve with rice or mashed potatoes and a side salad for a complete meal.
Why Slow-Cooked Chicken Is So Delicious
Slow-cooking chicken is a great way to infuse flavor into the meat. The low heat and long cooking time break down the connective tissue in the chicken, making it tender and juicy. This also allows the flavors from the onions and peppers to seep into the chicken, resulting in a delicious and flavorful dish.
How to Store Leftovers
If you have leftovers, store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days. You can also freeze the leftovers for up to 2 months.
Can I Use Chicken Breasts Instead of Thighs or Drumsticks?
You can use chicken breasts for this recipe, but they won’t be as flavorful or juicy as thighs or drumsticks. If you do use chicken breasts, make sure to sear them for a few minutes on each side before adding them to the roaster pan.
Can I Make This Recipe in a Slow Cooker?
Yes, you can make this recipe in a slow cooker. Simply follow the same instructions but instead of using a roaster pan, transfer the chicken and vegetables to a slow cooker. Cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 3-4 hours.
Can I Add Potatoes to This Recipe?
Yes, you can add potatoes to this recipe. Simply cut them into small cubes and add them to the roaster pan with the chicken and vegetables. Make sure to adjust the cooking time accordingly as the potatoes will take longer to cook.