Cabbage Soup with Smoked Sausage: A Hearty and Comforting Winter Meal
An easy recipe for a delicious and warming soup that is perfect for chilly days
For chilly winter days, cabbage soup is a traditional comfort food that is ideal. It is a flavorful, filling dish that is simple to prepare and is hearty and fulfilling. The fact that cabbage soup may be prepared in a variety of ways based on personal preferences is one of its best features. Addition of smoked sausage to the soup is a delectable variant that gives it a smokey, savory flavor that is ideal for sating hunger on a chilly day.
- 1 head green cabbage, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup uncooked white rice
- 1 pound smoked sausage, sliced
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Optional: hot sauce or red pepper flakes, for a little extra heat
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, heat some oil over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and garlic and sauté until they are soft and fragrant.
- Add the broth, water, diced tomatoes, rice, and smoked sausage to the pot. Stir everything together and bring the soup to a simmer.
- Reduce the heat to low, cover the pot, and let the soup simmer for about 20 minutes, or until the rice is cooked.
- Add the chopped cabbage to the pot, and continue to simmer for another 15-20 minutes, or until the cabbage is tender.
- Season the soup with salt and pepper to taste, and add a little hot sauce or red pepper flakes, if you like.
- Serve the soup hot, garnishing with chopped fresh parsley or cilantro if desired.