Deliciously Spiced Jamaican Oxtails with Beans Stew Recipe
Jamaican stewed oxtails with beans is a traditional dish that is bursting with flavor. The aroma of the simmering oxtails and beans is like a symphony of the Caribbean, transporting you to a far-off island paradise with each bite. The oxtails are slow-cooked and simmered to perfection in a zesty sauce, with the beans adding a burst of earthy goodness to the mix.
-2 pounds oxtails
-2 tablespoons olive oil
-1 large onion, diced
-1 large bell pepper, diced
-1 teaspoon ground allspice
-1 teaspoon dried thyme
-3 cloves garlic, minced
-1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
-1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
-2 cups beef broth
-1/2 cup dry red wine
-1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
-1 can (15 ounces) red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
-2 tablespoons tomato paste
-1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
-Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
-Cooked white rice, for serving
1. Heat olive oil in a large Dutch oven over medium high heat. Add oxtails and sear until golden brown and caramelized, about 6-8 minutes.
2. Add onion, bell pepper, allspice, thyme, garlic, ginger and nutmeg; cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are tender, about 3-4 minutes.
3. Stir in beef broth, wine, Worcestershire sauce, red kidney beans, tomato paste
4. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, until oxtails are tender and sauce has thickened, about 1 hour and 30 minutes.
5. Season with cayenne pepper, salt and pepper, to taste. 6. Serve immediately with cooked white rice, if desired. Enjoy!