Tangy and Moist Lemon Pound Cake Recipe for All Occasions
If you’re looking for a delicious dessert that’s easy to make and perfect for any occasion, you can’t go wrong with a lemon pound cake. This classic treat is moist, buttery, and bursting with tangy lemon flavor. Whether you’re serving it for breakfast, as a snack, or for dessert, this recipe is sure to please. In this article, we’ll take you through the steps of making a perfect lemon pound cake that your family and friends will love.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp lemon zest
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 large mixing bowl
- 1 medium mixing bowl
- Hand mixer or stand mixer
- Loaf pan
- Parchment paper
- Zester or grater
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Mixing spatula
Preparing the Ingredients
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C) and line a 9×5 inch loaf pan with parchment paper.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt until well combined. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together the butter and sugar using a hand mixer or stand mixer until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the eggs, one at a time, followed by the vanilla extract, lemon zest, and lemon juice.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients in three parts, alternating with the buttermilk, beginning and ending with the dry ingredients. Mix until just combined, being careful not to overmix.
Preparing the Batter
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan and smooth the top with a spatula.
- Bake the cake for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let the cake cool in the pan for 10-15 minutes before transferring it to a wire rack to cool completely.
Making the Glaze
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together 1/2 cup powdered sugar and 2 tbsp lemon juice until smooth.
- Drizzle the glaze over the cooled cake and let it set for 10-15 minutes before slicing and serving.
Tips for Making the Perfect Lemon Pound Cake
- Make sure all ingredients are at room temperature before starting.
- Don’t overmix the batter, as this can result in a tough cake.
- Use fresh lemons for the best flavor.
- Add more or less lemon zest and juice depending on your personal preference.
- Store the cake in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days.
- Serve with a dollop of whipped cream and fresh berries for a simple but elegant dessert.
- Toast a slice and serve it with a cup of tea or coffee for a delicious afternoon snack.
- Use slices of lemon pound cake to make French toast or bread pudding.
Lemon pound cake is a classic dessert that’s loved by many. It’s easy to make and the perfect treat for any occasion. The tangy lemon flavor combined with the moist, buttery texture of the cake is simply irresistible. By following this recipe and using our tips for making the perfect lemon pound cake, you can enjoy this delicious treat at home with your family and friends. Serve it for breakfast, as a snack, or for dessert – the possibilities are endless!
- Can I use a different type of citrus fruit in this recipe? Yes, you can substitute the lemon with other citrus fruits such as lime or orange to create different variations of this recipe.
- Can I make this recipe gluten-free? Yes, you can substitute the all-purpose flour with a gluten-free flour blend to make this recipe gluten-free.
- Can I make this recipe without a mixer? Yes, you can make this recipe by hand using a whisk and mixing spatula.
- How do I know when the cake is done baking? Insert a toothpick in the center of the cake, if it comes out clean or with a few crumbs, the cake is done.
- How long can I store the cake for? You can store the cake in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days. If you need to store it for longer, you can refrigerate it for up to 5 days or freeze it for up to 3 months.