Sumptuous Peach Hand Pies Recipe – Homemade Flaky Delight
There’s something inherently delightful about biting into a warm, flaky peach hand pie. The perfect blend of a buttery crust encapsulating sweet, juicy peach filling is a tantalizing treat for any dessert lover. This classic homemade dessert is not only a crowd-pleaser but also a delightful creation that deserves a spotlight on your baking repertoire.
The Origins of Peach Hand Pies
Peach hand pies have a rich history that resonates with comfort and tradition. Originating from American and Southern cuisine, these miniature fruit pies were a convenient way to enjoy pie without the need for a fork or plate. They were a staple in lunchboxes and picnics, and today, they continue to evoke a sense of nostalgia and warmth.
Crafting the Perfect Peach Hand Pie
Creating the perfect peach hand pie involves a few key steps. The foundation is a tender, flaky crust that cradles the luscious peach filling.
For the Crust:
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup unsalted butter (cold and cubed)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 6-8 tablespoons ice water
For the Filling:
- 4-5 fresh peaches (peeled and diced)
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Prepare the crust: Mix the flour and salt in a large bowl. Cut in the cold, cubed butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Slowly add ice water, one tablespoon at a time, until the dough comes together. Divide the dough in half, flatten into discs, wrap in plastic, and refrigerate for at least an hour.
- Make the filling: In another bowl, combine the diced peaches, granulated sugar, lemon juice, cornstarch, and cinnamon. Let the mixture sit for 15 minutes.
- Assemble the hand pies: Roll out the chilled dough and cut into circles. Spoon the peach filling onto one half of each circle, leaving room at the edges. Fold the other half of the dough over the filling and crimp the edges with a fork. Cut a few slits on top to allow steam to escape.
- Bake to perfection: Place the hand pies on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake in a preheated oven at 375°F for about 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
Serving Suggestions and Variations
Peach hand pies are versatile and can be enjoyed in various ways. You can serve them warm or cold, dusted with powdered sugar, or accompanied by a scoop of vanilla ice cream. For those looking for a twist, consider adding a hint of almond extract to the peach filling or a sprinkle of demerara sugar on top for an extra crunch.
In conclusion, mastering the art of making peach hand pies involves attention to detail and the perfect balance of flavors. It’s a dessert that encapsulates the essence of home baking and brings joy to those who taste it. With a rich history and a versatile nature, these hand pies are not only a delicious treat but also a form of edible art that’s worth savoring.
Remember, while the recipe is vital, the key to the perfect hand pie is the love and care you put into making it. Enjoy this delightful homemade treat with friends and family, creating memories one delicious bite at a time.