Indulge in the deliciousness of Pineapple Upside Down Cupcakes
A mini version of your favorite cake that is a treat to the eyes and taste buds alike. This delightful dessert is prepared by placing a spoonful of melted butter, crushed pineapple, brown sugar, and a cherry at the bottom of each muffin tin, topped with a cupcake batter made with pineapple juice, and baked to perfection.
Whether you prefer to make these cupcakes from scratch or using a doctored up cake mix, the result is sure to be a hit. The cupcake batter is made by mixing pineapple cake mix, pineapple juice, vegetable oil, and eggs until moistened, then filling the muffin cups with the batter and baking until done.
These cupcakes can be served warm or at room temperature, making them a great option for family gatherings, parties, or as treats to pack into lunches. To prepare these cupcakes, all you need is 20 minutes of prep time, 20 minutes of cook time, and 5 minutes of additional time.
- Cooking spray
- ½ cup melted butter
- 1 ½ cups brown sugar
- 24 maraschino cherries
- 1 (20 ounce) can crushed pineapple
- 1 (18.25 ounce) package pineapple cake mix
- 1 ⅓ cups pineapple juice
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 tablespoon confectioners’ sugar for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C) and place a rack in the middle of the oven.
- Spray 24 muffin cups with cooking spray.
- Spoon 1 teaspoon melted butter into each muffin cup, followed by 1 tablespoon of brown sugar, and a maraschino cherry.
- Spoon a heaping tablespoon of crushed pineapple and compact it into an even layer.
- Mix pineapple cake mix, pineapple juice, vegetable oil, and eggs in a large bowl with an electric mixer until moistened.
- Pour batter into the muffin cups and bake until a toothpick inserted into the center of a cupcake comes out clean, approximately 20 minutes.
- Allow cupcakes to cool on waxed paper, then serve with pineapple and cherry sides up, lightly dusted with confectioners’ sugar.