Homemade Chalupa Shells Recipe – Crispy & Delicious
Chalupas are a Mexican dish that consists of a fried tortilla shell filled with various ingredients such as meat, cheese, lettuce, avocado, tomato, and sour cream. They are crispy on the outside and soft on the inside.
For the chalupa shells:
– 2 cups all-purpose flour
– 1 teaspoon baking powder
– 1 teaspoon salt
– 1 tablespoon white vinegar
– 1/2 cup milk
– Oil for frying
1. Add the flour, baking powder and salt to a medium mixing bowl, whisking to combine.
2. Stir in the vinegar and milk until a shaggy ball forms.
3. Turn out onto a lightly floured, clean work surface.
4. Knead until the dough comes together then divide into 8 equal pieces (about 75g each).
5. Roll out each piece of dough into an oval shape about 6 inches long and 4 inches wide.
6. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until it reaches 375°F.
7. Fry each piece of dough until golden brown and crispy, about 2 minutes per side.
8. Remove from oil and place on paper towels to drain.
– To make the best tasting chalupa shells at home, start by making the dough.
– Mix the flour, baking powder, and salt together.
– When they are combined, mix in the oil.
– Next, add in milk and knead the dough.
– If the dough is tough and dry, add more milk.
– Fry chalupa shells for 2-3 minutes per side using tongs to fold over into taco shell shape.
– Once golden brown and lightly crispy, drain excess oil on paper towels or baking rack.
I hope these tips help you make delicious Homemade Chalupa Shells! Enjoy!