Introduction: Discovering Italian Lemon Drop Cookies
Italian Lemon Drop Cookies are a delightful treat that originated in Italy. These cookies are known for their vibrant lemon flavor and soft texture. They are perfect for serving at parties or simply for enjoying with a cup of tea or coffee. In this article, we will delve into the history of these delicious cookies, the recipe for making them, and some helpful tips to ensure they come out perfectly every time.
The History of Italian Lemon Drop Cookies
Italian Lemon Drop Cookies, also known as anginetti cookies, are a popular dessert that has been enjoyed for generations. The origin of the recipe can be traced back to Italy, where they were often served at special occasions such as weddings and religious ceremonies. Over time, the recipe spread to other countries and has become a beloved treat around the world.
Recipe for Italian Lemon Drop Cookies
Making Italian Lemon Drop Cookies is surprisingly easy and requires only a few ingredients. Follow this recipe to make a delicious batch of these cookies at home:
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the eggs, vanilla extract, and lemon extract.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet mixture and mix until combined.
- Add the milk and mix until a smooth dough forms.
- Roll the dough into small balls, about 1 inch in diameter, and place them on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until the edges are lightly golden.
- Allow the cookies to cool completely on a wire rack.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the confectioners’ sugar and lemon juice until a smooth glaze forms.
- Dip the top of each cookie into the glaze, then place them back on the wire rack to set.
Tips for Making Perfect Italian Lemon Drop Cookies
While the recipe for Italian Lemon Drop Cookies is fairly simple, there are a few tips to keep in mind to ensure they come out perfectly every time:
- Make sure your butter is softened to room temperature before starting.
- Use fresh lemon juice for the glaze for the best flavor.
- Don’t overmix the dough – this can make the cookies tough.
- Space the cookies out on the baking sheet to allow for even baking.
- Dip the cookies into the glaze while they are still warm to ensure it adheres properly.
Italian Lemon Drop Cookies are a timeless classic that are sure to delight anyone who tries them. Whether you’re a seasoned baker or a beginner, this recipe is easy to follow and will produce delicious results. We hope this article has provided you with helpful information and inspiration to try making these cookies for yourself. If you have any questions or comments, please don